Imagine having the ability to enjoy your favorite fried food without dealing with the less-than-healthy results of traditional frying. You’ll finally be able to enjoy anything from crispy kale to fried chicken wings with far less guilt once you find the best air fryer for your kitchen.
As a trend that is taking the world by storm, you can guarantee there are plenty of models to choose from, and we’ve created a list of the top five for you to take into consideration.
Best Air Fryer Reviews
1. Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer
The Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer has a sleek and modern appearance that will sit beautifully on your counter, but it also packs a powerful punch when it comes to creating unique and tasty recipes for the whole family. With an average capacity and several different presets to choose from, there are plenty of features for you to use to your advantage.
As with most air fryers, you can bet that several features of the Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer make it a useful appliance to have at your disposal, including:
- Rapid Air Circulation Technology: As a way to produce a similar texture to traditional deep-fried food, the Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer has Rapid Air Circulation Technology that fries everything without the use of oil.
- Stainless-steel interior: To help make the appliance easier to clean and more durable over the years, it offers a stainless-steel interior that can easily be wiped clean once you’ve finished frying. The stainless steel also offers improved conduction, so your food achieves the perfect aroma and flavor.
- Touchscreen controls: One of the most interesting features of the Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer is its touchscreen controls that are easily accessible through the digital LCD panel. You can do anything from adjusting the temperature to changing the timer with ease.
- Several preset options: Depending on the ingredients you’re working with and the type of frying you’d prefer, there are eight different presets available for you to choose from.
- User-friendly features: The two main user-friendly aspects of the Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer are its non-slip feet and its detachable basket. With the non-slip feet, the appliance will not be able to slide off of your counter, which makes it safe to use around children and pets. Also, the detachable basket is ideal for transferring food from the fryer to your plate.
What's to like about the Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer
When you first take the Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer out of its box, the first thing you’re going to notice is how aesthetically pleasing the entire unit is, especially when compared to bulkier air fryers that you’ll come across. This makes it a great partner for every kitchen, especially if you don’t feel like storing the appliance in your cabinets. You’re also going to appreciate the different presets that you can play with as you cook since most air fryers only offer four or five presets, though you might find that you’ll usually stick to using one or two of the eight.
We also found that the included accessories make using the machine easier, as you’ll have a non-stick baking dish, an Avalon Bay cookbook with 52 different recipes, and a multi-use rack. Above all else, the Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer gives you access to a 60-minute timer, so you don’t have to worry about watching over your food while it fries, as you would with a traditional oil fryer.
What's not to like about the Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer
As with most appliances, there are a couple of negative aspects to take into account as well. The Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer comes with a locking mechanism designed to keep the frying basket in place, but the locking mechanism does not always work. When you remove the basket to transfer your food, it may fall out of the machine which results in your food winding up on the floor.
Another concern with the Avalon Bay Digital Air Fryer is that its Teflon coating is going to experience a lot of deterioration after a single use. Even though it’s designed to help make cleaning the machine easier, it could flake off into your food, which is concerning. It’s important that you inspect your air fryer after every use to make sure the Teflon coating doesn’t begin to wear down.
2. Philips Avance AXL Digital Air Fryer
As a reputable brand in household appliances, the Philips Avance AXL Digital Air Fryer may be exactly what you’ve been looking for when you start researching air fryers. With rapid heating technology, a relatively large cooking capacity, and smart functions, it’s easier to use than other air fryers on the market.
Our favorite highlights of the Philips Avance AXL Digital Air Fryer include:
- Rapid air technology: With the ability to circulate hot air at an incredibly fast speed, the Philips Avance AXL Digital Air Fryer is able to cook food and give it a great crispy texture quickly.
- Smart presets: Depending on how you like to cook different types of food in the fryer, you can use the smart preset button to enable the machine to memorize your favorite settings.
- Large capacity: The Philips Avance AXL Digital Air Fryer has a capacity that is similar to other air fryers on the market, and it gives you the ability to make servings for up to four people at once.
- Digital touchscreen: The touchscreen on the front of the air fryer allows you to customize a variety of settings ranging from cooking settings to the temperature.
- Dishwasher safe accessories: Instead of having to hand wash all of your accessories, both the food basket and the nonstick drawer are entirely dishwasher safe.
What's to like about the Philips Avance AXL Digital Air Fryer
You’re going to experience most of the benefits of the Philips Avance AXL Digital Air Fryer once you use it for the first time, especially if you’re working with meats. What you’ll love the most is that the outside of your meat will have the ideal crispy texture while it will still be moist in the center. The entire air fryer also feels quite heavy and high-quality when you handle it for the first time, which is very reassuring.
When compared to other air fryers, another advantage you’ll realize is that the Philips Avance AXL Digital Air Fryer doesn’t produce smoke or unappealing odors while cooking, which is very convenient, though it’s still recommended that you place the appliance near a hood fan for additional aeration.
What's not to like about the Philips Avance AXL Digital Air Fryer
As an issue that appears to be common with most air fryers, you will have to pay close attention to the heat that the appliance generates. You will want to make sure that you do not overload the frying basket or cook certain ingredients at too high of heat as you won’t want to promote the possibility of the appliance igniting.
You’re also going to find that if you use the air fryer at temperatures above 390 degrees Fahrenheit for more than 25 uses, the interior anti-stick coating is going to start peeling away. Although the frying basket seems to stay in great condition, the coating surrounding the basket is going to peel which is a concern.
3. Super Deal Pro Electric Air Fryer
At first glance, you’re going to realize that the Super Deal Pro Electric Air Fryer seems to have more functions than most other air fryers, as every button that you’ll need is directly on the front of the machine. It’s slightly bulkier in stature but helps to make frying food in a healthy way easier.
The main features of the Super Deal Pro Electric Air Fryer include:
- Multi-purpose cooking: There are several different items that you’ll be able to cook in the Super Deal Pro Electric Air Fryer including fries, fish, meat, shrimp, steak, and even cake.
- Digital LCD screen: To make it easier to see the temperature of the air fryer and the timer, it offers a digital LCD screen that projects big numbers that are easy for anyone to see.
- Variable temperature control: You have complete control over the cooking temperatures of your Super Deal Pro Electric Air Fryer as you can adjust it up to 400 degrees in 10-degree increments.
- Dishwasher safe: Similar to the Philips air fryer, you can easily throw the frying basket and basket holder base into the dishwasher instead of having to hand wash the device
What's to like about the Super Deal Pro Electric Air Fryer
The Super Deal Pro Electric Air Fryer takes a little bit of extra effort in order to figure out how to get the perfect crispy texture without over or undercooking your ingredients, but once you’ve found your desired settings, the machine works like a breeze. It fries vegetables especially well, as long as you pay close attention to the amount of liquid used in the recipe. You’re also going to love how silent the air fryer is when compared to other models, and it fries your food very quickly when compared to frying with oil.
What's not to like about the Super Deal Pro Electric Air Fryer
The first notable detriment to using the Super Deal Pro Electric Air Fryer is that its instruction manual is very poorly written, which makes it tough for people who have never used an air fryer in the past. However, there are a few recipes in the book that are easy to follow if you need some inspiration for your meals.
Also, the capacity of the unit is beneficial for small groups of two to four people, but if you intend on cooking for more guests, it will take a while to fry all of your ingredients. You’re also going to find that it’s tough to find space to store the Super Deal Pro Electric Air Fryer, as it’s very bulky in nature and would take up too much space on your counter.
4. FrenchMay Touch Control Air Fryer
If you’re in the market for a multi-functional air fryer, the FrenchMay Touch Control Air Fryer is a great choice. As a machine that tackles frying anything from meats to desserts without a large mess, it’ll be one of the most used appliances in your kitchen.
There are plenty of reasons as to why you should consider the FrenchMay Touch Control Air Fryer, including:
- Dynamic AirFlow Technology: As a patented technology for the FrenchMay Touch Control Air Fryer, its Dynamic AirFlow Technology helps to make sure that heat is circulated evenly and quickly for rapid frying that not only looks but also tastes delicious.
- Intuitive controls: All of the controls for your new air fryer are accessible from the front of the unit. You’ll be able to set the temperature (up to 400 degrees), set a 60-minute timer, and choose from seven different presets.
- Dishwasher safe: As a convenient feature of this air fryer, all of the removable accessories are dishwasher safe. You won’t have to worry about hand washing the basket holder base, the basket, or the built-in cool-touch handle and housing.
What's to like about the FrenchMay Touch Control Air Fryer
The main thing that we love about the FrenchMay Touch Control Air Fryer is that it easily vents in small areas, unlike other air fryers. With other models, if they are kept in a confined space, the device will get too hot, whereas, with this model, it easily vents extra heat out of the unit for a safer frying experience. We also love how easy it is to use for someone who never had their hands on an air fryer before, even without the help of the instructions.
The locking mechanism for the basket is far superior to other air fryers on the market and you can guarantee that once you slide the basket in and hear it click into place, it’s locked until you need it removed. Also, the outside of the appliance doesn’t reach a high heat while it’s operating, which makes it safe for any kitchen.
What's not to like about the FrenchMay Touch Control Air Fryer
The main concern that you’ll have about the FrenchMay Touch Control Air Fryer is that the temperature gauge is slightly off compared to what is being declared on the LCD screen. You’ll find that even if you have it set to 400 degrees, it will only reach an internal temperature of 370 degrees Fahrenheit, so you will have to monitor the heat of the appliance to cook your food thoroughly.
Unfortunately, as a common theme amongst most air fryers, the internal nonstick coating will start to wear off the more that you use the air fryer at its highest heat settings. To prevent this from happening, consider cooking at lower temperatures for longer.
5. Black+Decker Purify Air Frye
As the fifth and final air fryer we’ll look into in this guide, the Black+Decker Purify Air Fryer has plenty to offer, especially as it’s designed by such a reputable brand. Although this unit isn’t as large as the others on this list, it’s great for cooking for one to two people at once.
There are a few reasons as to why the Black+Decker Purify Air Fryer is a good choice for homeowners, including:
- Dual convection fans: With the combination of two fans inside of the unit, the hot air will be circulated quickly around your food for crispy results in half the time of other air fryers.
- Easy cleanup: The basket separator and air fryer basket are both dishwasher-safe, and the inside of the fryer has a nonstick coating that makes it easy to wipe away messes after you’re done the frying.
- Useful indicator lights: With the help of the indicator lights, you’ll be able to know when the unit is on, when it turns off, and when it has reached your desired preheated temperature.
- Variable temperature control: It’s about time you had full control over the temperature of your fryer and with the help of the variable temperature control, you can set the heat anywhere from 175 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit with the Black+Decker Purify Air Fryer.
What's to like about the Black+Decker Purify Air Frye
The Black+Decker Purify Air Fryer is the perfect option for someone who is looking to cook for themselves or a loved one, instead of having to worry about working with a large and bulky air fryer. Its smaller capacity also means that it’s easier to store in small compartments, so it doesn’t have to always be out on your counter. We also love how you can achieve the ideal texture for meats without having to use an ounce of cooking oil, especially with the help of the food-grade nonstick cooking basket.
You’re also going to find that the Black+Decker Purify Air Fryer doesn’t require nearly as much time as a traditional oven in terms of preheating, which makes the unit easy and ready to use faster than other appliances.
What's not to like about the Black+Decker Purify Air Frye
The main downfall of the Black+Decker Purify Air Fryer is the fact that you’ll have to work with several batches of food if you’re preparing dinner for more than one to two people, which can be time consuming and frustrating. We also found that the numbering around the temperature dial is quite small, which makes it tough to set the right temperature without getting very close to the fryer.
With so many air fryers on the market, it can get confusing to know exactly what to look for to make sure you’re making the right choice with your first purchase. Below are some of the most important features that your air fryer should have, no matter if you intend on preparing meats, vegetables, or side dishes.
As with any appliance that you add to your kitchen, the wattage is an essential feature because it determines how quickly your food will be fried. The last thing that you’d want is to have to wait hours for your fish or chicken wings to achieve their perfect texture as a result of a low-wattage air fryer. With that being said, wattage is also essential to think about in terms of safety and power consumption, as the higher the wattage, the hotter the machine will get and the more energy it will consume.
We recommend finding an air fryer that operates at approximately 1400 watts, as this will have your food prepared within several minutes and at the perfect texture.
The capacity of your air fryer is all dependent on the number of people that you’ll be cooking for on a regular basis. The larger the capacity, the more food you’ll be able to prepare without having to keep half of your meal in the oven or microwave to keep it warm. If you have a family of four or more people, it’s highly recommended that you consider an air fryer with more than a four-quart capacity, though for one to two people, two to three quarts is ideal, and for two to four people, you could easily get away with three to four quarts.
Dimension and Weight
It’s important to think about where you’ll be storing your air fryer, is it an appliance that will sit on the counter at all times or will you be putting it away after it has been cleaned? The capacity of the unit is going to determine its dimension and weight, as the bigger it is, the larger and heavier it will be. Ideally, you’re going to want to find something that cooks enough food for your whole family, but that can still be stowed away when it’s not being used.
As you can tell by now, the hotter you have your air fryer, the more likely it is to see damage in terms of its interior non-stick coating. That means you won’t necessarily need to find a fryer that gets as hot as 400 degrees Fahrenheit, as you’re not going to want to use it at its maximum temperature too often. Any air fryer that gives you the ability to fry between 100 and 350 degrees Fahrenheit is more than sufficient for nearly any type of meal you can think of.
Air fryers are known for their user-friendly features, especially as they’re relatively new devices that many people have yet to try. With that being said, you can guarantee that your chosen model will have plenty of controls to work with ranging from preset cooking functions to variable temperature controls. Ideally, we’d recommend a touchscreen or digital LCD panel with easy-to-read controls so that you can make the most out of your fryer.
You never know when an appliance is going to stop working for whatever reason, and as most people aren’t engineers or electricians and cannot repair their own devices, you’re going to want to make sure that your air fryer comes with a warranty. As with most electronic appliances, your warranty won’t cover user errors, though we recommend finding a model that has a satisfaction guarantee. This usually gives you the ability to return the unit if you’re not happy with its performance within 30 to 60 days of your purchase.
Air Fryer FAQs
How does an air fryer work?
Even though it might seem complicated at first glance, air fryers are very easy to understand. They typically use air convection to get your food to its crispiest texture in far less time than an oven, and you’ll find most models feature two fans or special convection to disperse the heat evenly. When compared to traditional oil frying, air fryers eliminate the need for oils, which also helps to make your food a lot healthier and at times, tastier.
How to use an air fryer?
As these machines are developed to be very user-friendly, using them is simple, though it’s still recommended that you use the instructions to use your fryer to the best of its ability. In most cases, you’ll simply preheat the fryer, add the ingredients into the frying basket, slide the basket back into the fryer, and set the timer for how long it will need to cook. Once everything has been fried to its perfect texture, you can remove the basket and transfer the food to your plate, cleaning the device after it has cooled down.
What to look for in an air fryer?
There are plenty of important things to look for in your air fryer, though the most important is some type of safety rating. These devices work at high temperatures, and as such, you’ll want to make sure that it’s safe to have around your family. You’re also going to want to make sure that you choose the perfect capacity for the number of people you’ll be cooking for, a device that looks great on your counter, and a fryer that can easily be stored in your cabinets.
What size air fryer should I get?
One of the most variable features of air fryers is their capacity, which can be tough to decide on if you’ve never used one before. If you’re cooking for one to two people, a two to three quarts is recommended, for two to three people you can easily get away with three to four quarts. However, if you’re cooking for more than four people or if you prefer larger portion sizes, a capacity above four quarts is great.
Our Final Recommendation
It’s now time to give our recommendation for the best air fryer you can get your hands on, and our favorite is surely the Black+Decker Purify Air Fryer simply because it appears to hold up much better over the long run, especially when compared to the other air fryers on this list. With the Black+Decker Purify Air Fryer, you won’t have to worry about the nonstick coating inside of the fryer flaking away after a couple of uses; it’s only a concern if you reach very high temperatures with years of use. We also love how all of the removable components are entirely dishwasher safe, helping to save you time in the kitchen.
With its high-quality performance, we’re sure that the smaller capacity of the unit won’t be a problem, as you’ll be able to healthily fry your food faster than with other air fryers, even if you have to work with more batches than with larger capacity units. Above all else, it offers an excellent two-year limited warranty that ensures defective devices will be replaced or repaired without any additional charges.
With the ability to finally achieve the perfect deep-fried flavor and texture without actually using any oil, the Black+Decker Purify Air Fryer will quickly become the most popular small appliance in your kitchen.